Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Firsts: Convocation, The Bistro, and Grantham.

Ello!


Yesterday was my first full day at Harlaxton and it was exhausting as I am still adjusting to the new time zone. I have walked in many circles, found two passageways out of roughly ten, bought a sweatshirt from Harlaxton's Boutique, bought my textbooks, and met some fantastic people. After a day of adventuring and finding my way around, we had our opening convocation and high table dinner. 
We were informed to come in "smart dress" meaning formal apparel and preferably black. The students are divided into four houses similar to those in the Harry Potter series.  Instead of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin, the house names are Gregory, Pegasus, Newton, and Mercia.  At the High Table Dinner, we found out what house we were in and what students were in it. I am in Pegasus- the equivalent to Hufflepuff! The meal included salad, biscuits, steamed broccoli and carrots, pasta noodles, and parmesan crusted chicken breast. There was also two wine bottles (one white and one red), apple juice, hot tea, and water. My first legal drink in the   United Kingdom was at dinner and then off to The Bistro afterwards. After dinner the faculty were released to a speaker and the students either to The Bistro which is on campus, to ta pub in town, or off to bed. No one here has really completely registered how long we will actually be here- so far we have referred to it as feeling like a week long camp.






This morning I went into the town of Grantham and visited Poundland to get some supplies that was left at home. I also bought some chocolates for my room. My room is on the top floor of the manor (fifth floor) So I walk up tons of stairs. Also, I am really fascinated by all the chandeliers and details of Harlaxton. We learned a brief history yesterday about Harlaxton Manor as well. I had not known that both in World War I and World War II harlaxton was used for training. It also was used for emergency plane landings during World War II. There are old bunkers out in the woods and trenches that I plan to eventually take some pictures of. 












 Love to all,

      Erin

2 comments:

  1. Seems like it may be hard to concentrate on any School work with so much exploring to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will definitely be time for both as classes generally only run Monday- Thursday with a few random Fridays and some weeks ending on Wednesdays. Also with only twelve credits there will be time to focus on classes as well as explore.

      Delete